Thursday, August 6, 2009

Looking Good (on the inside)

As we race to keep up with family, friends and work some of our basic needs often get pushed to the bottom of our to-do lists. Many women consider their physical appearance a top priority, directly behind these relationships. And while some spend more time and money on their appearance than others, it always seems to take more energy than you expect. For instance, it’s common for many of us to spend weeks shopping for the right look for a special occasion. Yet, one of the fundamental needs we sometimes dedicate less time and energy towards is arguably the one that impacts us most directly … the food we eat.

Many women (myself included) might say, “That’s not true … I watch what I eat. I’m very conscious about my choices.” I watched a powerful movie/documentary last night called Food, Inc. that challenges our paradigm of what’s truly healthy food and motivates us to ask: Where does our food actually come from? According to the movie, “the way we eat has changed more in the last fifty years than in the previous 10,000.”



I’m not suggesting that everyone should eat strictly organic food. Beyond the increased expense, there isn’t consensus that all organic food is more nutritious or safe than other food. Still, I highly recommend that everyone watches this movie. If nothing else, it can definitely help us make more informed choices about what we eat. Not to mention, it’s easier to feel great about how we look on the outside if we’re first taking care of ourselves on the inside.

I’d love to hear your thoughts about the movie/topic …

No comments:

Post a Comment