Sunday, January 10, 2010

What Are You Eating?

I just completed “Eating Animals” by Jonathan Safran Foer, one of several books I’ve recently read that highlights the issues of factory farming in the United States. Foer does an excellent job of outlining the issues with persuasive anecdotes. Similar to Foer, I’ve vacillated between full-fledge vegetarianism to eating meat in moderation. After reading his book, I may have made up my mind.



Foer echos Upton Sinclair's "The Jungle"… convincing a new generation (who may not want to hear the gruesome details) how the treatment of animals should change the way it looks at food. If you’re as interested in the topic as I am, definitely pick up Michael Pollen’s “The Omnivore’s Dilemma” and “In Defense of Food: An Eater's Manifesto.” I’m also looking forward to reading Pollen's new book, “Food Rules.”

You might also be interested in Food Inc, an excellent documentary that also tackles the state of food production in the U.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment